Saturday, November 8, 2008

Lucky to be alive...

On Thursday evenings my husband Brian plays in a basketball league on the Westside of G.R. Whenever possible we like to take the kids to watch, well this past week we were lucky enough to be able to do just that. the game was great and they played awesome. We were all ready to go home and tuck the kids in bed and be adults for a little while.

Well little did we know that our luck was about to change. Brian's car was in for a set of new tires and on our way home we stopped and dropped him off at his car. We followed each other down West River and came to the light at Northland and West River.

I was in the far left lane with both of the kids and Brian was in the right lane, both of us waited for the light to turn green so we could take a left up the hill. So the light changes and I go, little did I realize a guy come from the other direction decided he didn't need to stop for the red. And we hit him as he travel 65-70 mph. I happened so fast. The kids were screaming(a good sign), I was still trying to get my wits about me and I look down and the air bag had gone off and the car was filling with dust. I had to get them out.

The side doors wouldn't open so I had to hand my children out through the passenger door, and pass them on to perfect strangers just to get them to safety. The van I am sure is a total loss. I have never been so scared in my life and yet I couldn't cry because my kids were so upset I was set on making them feel safe.

I was lucky to be alive to have them and that my husband, by chance was one car over. He saw it all and I can only imagine what that was like to watch your family!

We are all alive, sore,black and blue, but the guardian angels were on our side!

I realize later that I take life for granted everyday, I cruise through my day, sometimes not even remembering small things. I hate to say it, but God wanted me to slow down, and I get it now. Please take our accident as a sign to slow down in your own lives, look at the small stuff and kiss your children every second you can...I know all to well how fast that can be taken away!

3 comments:

Kate McKellar said...

It's a lesson we should all learn from. I am so glad you guys are okay! Love you all!!!

The Henry's said...

Well the Henry's are so VERY THANKFUL that everyone is ok. We love you all very much & want nothing bad to happen to any of you. God was on your side.

Just get some rest.

Love Josh, Kelly & Jakers

Kate McKellar said...

Do you need more nagging from Kate to update your blog again?!?!?!?!